DIY Explanation

pour améliorer, meaning 'to improve', is a humble record of our renovation, home improvement and landscaping projects, with our travel adventures thrown in.

31 March, 2011

Light? What Light?

Generally creating light requires power, and that we certainly do not have that yet.

That hasn't stopped me dreaming about the light fittings for our house though! I already gave you a peek into what I'm thinking for the master bedroom, and I will soon give you a peek into what I'm planning for the bathroom, but in the meantime my mind (which can't seem to stop and think about one project at once but bounces between them all incessantly - wouldn't you love to be in my head?) has moved onto the kitchen light.

After we'd bought our second hand kitchen, the lady also offered me their existing light fitting for $50. At the time, I wasn't thinking of going too fancy for the lighting for the house, so decided to agree, since it's quite a large fitting, and they tend to be pretty expensive to buy brand new.

Here's the picture of that kitchen with the light in place.


Sorry it's blurry, that was the picture in the ad, the only one I've got of it. It's made of wrought iron, with little wrought iron vine leaves in the surrounds. To be honest, it's really not my style, but at the time I figured it worked, and that I'd live with it.

Then while we were finishing the final gates at our last house, Tom accidentally dropped something on it and smashed the glass bowl section that hides the bulbs. Hmm. So, if we're going to use it (and it would be a real shame to waste the $50 we spent on it) we'll need to do something about that, which started my mind ticking. I know! I can use that as the perfect excuse to re-make it into something that pleases me more!

And this is where my mind is heading at the moment...

sourced from Design Crisis



Birdcage Light sourced from Urban Outfitters




This is someone's homemade version:

sourced from A Penny Saved

I'm not a huge fan of how messy the strands of beads become in the home-made version, but then again, I'm totally in love with that first chandelier that's almost a complete mess. Go figure!

Who knows, I'm still not sure... and I might change my mind entirely... but it's definitely fun speculating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...