DIY Explanation

pour améliorer, meaning 'to improve', is a humble record of our renovation, home improvement and landscaping projects, with our travel adventures thrown in.

13 February, 2011

A Better Day

After my nightmare day yesterday, today was a much better day. You know why? NO MACHINES!!!

I purchased myself a nice shiny new roller and paint tray. Who can go past a roller that calls itself a genius? After yesterday, I needed all the help I could get!
 

And then I got to work roller-ing the first coat of paint onto the wall.


Actually there's an interesting story behind our choice of paint colour. Back before we moved into the house, we decided that we wanted a fairly neutral colour painted throughout the house. We looked at off-white after off-white, and struggled to make a decision. Then, one day I went for a massage at Peachy Body Clinic, and asked the owner what colour they had painted their walls. Seeing it painted on an entire wall made it much easier to be confident that I'd like it.

The answer: Sandy Day (half strength) by Dulux. So, that was the colour! I ended up getting Solver to colour-match it for me. To be honest, the main reason we chose Solver was because they were the closest paint shop to our house. They're also quite reputable, and they were the brand the builder chose to paint our second house with.

So, here I am painting still.



Guess what Allie was doing?


I masked up above the bay window so we could paint there too.

 

So here's the room after the first coat went on. You can't really see the colour, but it's a light beige. Nothing particularly interesting, but a nice shade.



 

Here's Daniel roller-ing.



Allie watched from a safe distance.


Here's the double-coated window area.



I never realised quite how YELLOW the yellow walls were until I stood outside the room (where all the yellow walls remain still) and looked into the bedroom. It's so bright and light and crisp and beautiful looking! I can't wait to see what the same colour will do to the main living areas, which appear quite dark and gloomy (despite the sunshiny yellow) at the moment.

Very happy with my choice to roller the paint on today. So now the walls are done in the bedroom! Only the trim (and the ceiling) remains. And of course the entire rest of the house.

I think one of the best things about painting is the instant gratification. You spend a bit of time and effort, and you get an instant change, and a completed result. All of the other tasks we've attempted at the house so far have been part of a many-staged process, so completely transforming the master bedroom with a few coats of paint in one weekend has been incredibly satisfying. Onto the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...