DIY Explanation

pour améliorer, meaning 'to improve', is a humble record of our renovation, home improvement and landscaping projects, with our travel adventures thrown in.

30 January, 2011

Mirror, mirror.... not going to be on the wall for a while

As part of my grand plan for the main bathroom in our house (I promise I will talk about the plan soonish), I need to obtain a mirror.

Originally I was thinking along these sorts of lines...

Pink Glam Bathroom eclectic bathroom

Ignore the pink here, obviously we're not going with that, but that's the kind of mirror I was hoping for.

And then I thought about the feature tiles we're using...



I then figured that we're going pretty bold on our tiling choices, so it probably wasn't advisable to go for an overly dramatic mirror. Don't want to overdo it, do we?

So, I could have started touring the various Brisbane shops that stock mirrors (not that I have the time to do that since I'm spending every weekend trying to dig holes. Previously, when Tom and I did up another bathroom in a townhouse last year, we had found a mirror at a builders' warehouse that had a little baby chip out of the corner and was therefore discounted to $99. We figured we could live with the chip, since it could be hidden in the corner of the room at the bottom of the mirror - nothing a bit of silicone couldn't fix.

This is how that one looked:


It was 1200mm wide, which was the exact width of our vanity unit, and very nice looking with a bevelled edge, so we definitely thought we'd got a bargain.

This time around though, I decided to trawl Ebay and Gumtree for some second-hand mirror options, in the hopes of getting an even better deal - and a mirror with a bit more personality.

I won this one for $60, and drove all the way to Victoria Point to get it today.


Here's a close up of it all tucked up in a blanket in the back of the ute.


Don't worry too much about the colour. It shouldn't take much to sand it back and give it a couple of coats of silver-ish colour so it will match the chrome tap fittings etc that we intend to get for the bathroom. I say that now, but not having done this before, that will be an interesting experience. I'm told it's easy. Let's hope it is, because that current colour won't do at all!


So that will be our bathroom mirror! Now to actually get a bathroom for it to go in...

Love Bec

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...