DIY Explanation

pour améliorer, meaning 'to improve', is a humble record of our renovation, home improvement and landscaping projects, with our travel adventures thrown in.

23 September, 2011

Double Trouble


We're back to the bathroom again! More specifically, the bathroom mirror.

Remember this guy?


I bought him for $60 on Ebay earlier this year (what feels like a loooong time ago - see here), with grand plans for him to live in our flash new bathroom.


As our new bathroom started to take shape, we decide that it was time to launch the attack on him.


It was fairly easy to pop out the mirror itself...



And then we could just deal with the frame by itself.


I gave it a rub down with sandpaper...


While Tom shook the spray can of unercoat for me...


And we hung it from the clothesline for its first undercoat.

Doesn't this picture look Halloween-ish? Hehe.


Two coats of silver spray paint and one coat of gloss later...


And he was up!


As you can see above, the mirror sits nicely between the two wall lights. I don't seem to have got a photo of the entire wall to give the bigger picture of the mirror, so you'll just have to use your imagination with this photo of the wall without the mirror attached.


What bothered me about this mirror was its size. Usually the more mirror in a bathroom the better in my view, particularly one like ours that doesn't get a great deal of natural light. BUT...it covers up a LOT of my beautiful black pinstripe tile, which is kind of a shame.


So I kept my eye out on my favourite secondhand websites for something smaller, with a bit more flair. For months.

And finally... finally, I found this one! This is the photo from the Ebay ad.


I got bidding, and he was all mine for $53.

I didn't lose much time in pulling out the painters tape and covering up the mirror section to get rid of that bronzy colour.


That bronzy colour was very powdery, and sanded off very well.


I even invested in some compressed air to make sure the surface was nice and clean for the undercoat.


 The undercoat went on...


And then 1.5 coats of silver. I waited a full 24 hours after the silver coats before doing a coat of gloss. According to the spray can you either have to recoat within half an hour, or wait 24 hours. I didn't really want to risk the gloss coat mixing with the silver, so I figured I'd better be safe and wait the 24 hour timeframe.



It looks very glamorous up on the wall.


We need to adjust the height a little so it sits a bit higher to prevent the bottom bit being hidden behind the tap, but on the whole, I like it.


It certainly means we can see more of the pinstripe wall! It does also make the room seem darker because there's less reflective surface, but that's not necessarily a terrible thing.


What do you think? Just glamorous enough to match my Black Beauty of a cabinet? Blends in nicely with the chandelier-ish lights on either side? Or is it going over the top?








IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

Somewhat Simple

Beyond The Picket Fence









The Shabby Nest




36th Avenue


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating











5 comments:

  1. so glamorous I loved the second mirror, I've been searching for one since ever...I like your style, very chic and unique
    Visiting from The shabby next
    Pass by my blog you may like my post about the mirrors :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the mirror!! Great job!
    I'm visiting from a wee Meenit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am drooling over your pinstriped tile, I don't blame you for wanting to see as much of it as possible. The new mirror looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how the mirrors turned out! Great job! I am your newest follower.
    www.shabbytochicqueencreek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. can you please tell me the brand and exact color of undercoat and spray paint you used? i would love to duplicate.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...