DIY Explanation

pour améliorer, meaning 'to improve', is a humble record of our renovation, home improvement and landscaping projects, with our travel adventures thrown in.

02 September, 2011

Black Beauty Meets Barbie


We're very much enjoying our sleek and glossy black beauty.

What isn't so enjoyable is her inside. The car painter we hired to paint her did a great job, but didn't bother to undertake the full preparation work on the inside, meaning that the inside is coated in a very thin layer of the black paint that doesn't stick very well. It scratches off very easily with the lightest scrape.


So I decided from the beginning that I would need to coat the inside with something - be it some kind of liner, or painting it.

Last weekend, I decided to go with painting it. But that couldn't happen until I sanded off enough of the non-sticky black paint so that the new paint would stick!


I donned my sanding gear, and dived in.


Literally. I never really considered just how much sanding the inside of the cabinet would require me to contort! I ended up inside and backwards mechanic-style, with my arms ready to fall off from pushing to get the black off.


Hours later (I'm serious, I was inside that cabinet for hours), here I am. Considerably dirtier and dustier, and sorry for myself.


But it was worth it, to make sure that the new paint would stick!



Finally, it was time to vacuum and wash away all of the paint dust, and tape up the edges for painting.



It never ceases to amaze me how much difference an undercoat makes. So neat and clean and fresh!



And now for the big question - what colour was I painting the inside?

Well that's where Barbie comes in.

Yes, I decided to go a bit crazy (well, crazy for me), and introduce a bit of pizzaz.

Enter Dulux Pink Chintz!


I only bought a tiny little sample pot of the colour, since I was hopeful that I wouldn't need very much to cover just the inside of the cabinet.


And then the first coat went on.


Daniel hates it. Tom is yet to actually offer an opinion.


I think it's gorgeous. And why not go a bit crazy on the inside of the cabinet? At least I'm not out painting the lounge room pink!

What's not gorgeous is what happened when I peeled off the blue painters tape.

Fortunately, I'd been miraculously well prepared by finding a little bottle of black nail polish in the bargain bin at the chemist just last week.


And now you would never know we had peeling paint issues!


So there is our black beauty, now with pretty pink petticoats!


As always, I freaked out when the first coat went on, because it was very very... well... pink!

But pink and black have always gone well together, and why not have a bit of fun with something that hardly anyone sees?!!! Well, except a whole bunch of people on the Internet. Oops.

Long live Barbie!





8 comments:

  1. Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I am IN LOVE!! You did a fantastic job on it and I love the pink!!! New follower here~ I would love for you to come share this at Feathered Nest Friday sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have outdone yourself!!!! This is gorgeous!!!!!! I too, love painting the inside of thins, plus this color combo is a huge favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo Pretty! I love it. It looks beyond glam~

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so awesome that I just had to feature you this week at my Hookin Up with HoH par-tay!

    Feel free to stop by and grab a button! You deserve it. :D

    xoxo

    Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is just beautiful! I am usually to lazy to paint the inside of anything, and this looks so great it motivates me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stopping back by to say thanks for linking this up at Feathered Nest Friday!! Sharing at the party tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooohhhh...absolutely positively FABULOUS!! WOOT to YOU lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! That is one glamorous cabinet! I love the high gloss black, and the pink is like an old fashioned petticoat hidden under the serious(not really)black dress. Way cool!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...