DIY Explanation

pour améliorer, meaning 'to improve', is a humble record of our renovation, home improvement and landscaping projects, with our travel adventures thrown in.

03 December, 2012

Goodbye Yellow!

This is what our upstairs laundry has looked like for about a year now.


Then when the carpenters pulled off all of the blue board that we had painstakingly put up on the outside of the house to protect the laundry from the elements, it looked like this for a little while...


Until the builders foil and weatherboards went up and then it looked like this for quite a while.
 

The plumber came up and did the plumbing 'rough in' for the laundry taps and waste, and the electrician put in the wiring for a couple of powerpoints...


And then the carpenters came in and put up some cement sheeting to finally cover up that ugly wall and the floor.


We left the little triangle of VJ boards still on the upper section of that wall, and just made a clear seam between them and the new cement sheeting.


And then we decided that it would be very sensible of us to paint the laundry before the tiler arrived to tile the floor, since we didn't want to get paint on our new fancy tiles!

But we struck a snag when we accidentally knocked the ceiling a couple of times and realised that the paint was peeling off the ceiling wherever it had been impacted. Oh oh. One thing we knew for sure from experience is that painting a peeling ceiling is an exercise in futility.

So, I sighed, donned my safety gear, grabbed the paint scraper, and started scraping.


And scraping... and scraping...


Until FINALLY the ceiling was back to its original undercoat. It took me a whole day.


But at least I had something to show for my efforts - lots of teeny tiny paint scrapings!


Which prompted me to post this Instagram shot.


And take an 'I'm feeling sorry for myself' shot in the mirror at the end of the day when I was drenched in sweat and my hair was full of tiny bits of paint.


Yes, I wanted everyone to know about my pain.

Nevertheless, it was thankfully over, and I could move on to the next stage, which was to putty up any nasty holes in the ceiling and cornice...


And set Daniel to work sanding the walls and ceiling so that we could begin the painting process.


As always, I was on paintbrush, painstakingly painting all of the little grooves between the VJs and corners where a mini roller can't reach.


And Daniel was on roller duty.


No prizes for guessing whether we were painting the room a dark colour or a light colour, with our as-dark-a-tint-as-possible undercoat giving it away!


It felt great having a consistently painted room, even if it was only an undercoat, but the best part? The yellow was gone!!!!! That yellow that every single room in the house was painted in was FINALLY a thing of the past!


Unfortunately when we painted the first top coat it actually looked worse.


I'd made a fairly snappy paint decision (I've proven that those are the best paint decisions) and decided to go daring, with Taubmans Canyon Black.


We pushed through into the night in an effort to get it all finished...


And I took photos the next morning. All done! Our new nearly black laundry!


Which is actually really hard to take decent photos of!


We've still left the cement sheeted wall mostly unpainted. I've got plans for it, just you wait!


The best shot I managed to get that actually represents the real colour is of this wall near the window. What do you think? Are we crazy going so dark in such a small room? Walls, cornice, ceiling, everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...