DIY Explanation

pour améliorer, meaning 'to improve', is a humble record of our renovation, home improvement and landscaping projects, with our travel adventures thrown in.

04 October, 2012

Trash the Wedding Dress - The Full Shoot

 

I've been dying to share all of the photos from our 'Trash the Wedding Dress' photo shoot earlier in the year, but I made a bargain with myself that I wouldn't share them until I'd finished recording our Japan trip in its entirety!

So, with that done, let's get started! We snapped this one of me while I was getting ready at home...


And then we piled an old bed that I got off Gumtree, a mattress that I borrowed from a friend, two feather pillows, and Allie our dog into the back of our ute, I managed to stuff myself and all the folds of my wedding dress into the passenger seat, and we set off to meet our photographer, a good friend of mine, Tania Messervy of Messervy Photography, in a little patch of bushland in Brisbane.


Because most of the photos from our wedding four years ago were fairly traditional everyone-stand-and-smile-at-the-camera shots, we wanted to play around and get some slightly more artistic photos.


 

 





And then we found ourselves a lovely little clearing and set up our bed.


Allie directed from the side.


Although she wasn't really the most attentive director.


We took a few more wedding-ey shots...


 And then the real fun began.


 

 

We even managed to convince Allie to get in on the action with a High-Five!





And then I broke the bed by jumping on it. And the expression of shock on my face is now forever immortalised.


But we weren't done yet! Because getting a few feathers stuck to one's dress doesn't really qualify as "trashing" it, does it? So we de-feathered as much as possible, piled the bed, the mattress, as many feathers as we could scoop up off the ground, and the dog back in the ute, and moved toward the place where the official "trashing" was to happen.

We stopped off at the Brisbane Powerhouse along the way though, for some more traditional wedding shots.


Love that brick wall!


 


And for the main event, we went to the Spring Hill Baths, one of the oldest (and certainly one of the cutest) swimming pools in Brisbane.





And then we jumped in the pool, wedding dress and all!


Once I managed to make sure I wasn't going to be drowned by the many billowing layers of my dress, we declared our 'Trash the Wedding Dress' shoot a success!


Although the most destructive element of the day for the dress was yet to come, since I decided to put it in the washing machine when we got home, to rid it of the chlorine smell. I know, I can hardly believe I put a $3,000 pure silk wedding gown in the washing machine myself. But I'd resigned myself to a destroyed wedding dress by the end of the day (that was the point, right?), so I decided that a few ripped seams here and there was preferable to paying $300 to have it dry-cleaned again. And maybe one day I'll summon up the courage (and the sewing skill) to cut it up and use the fabric for something else!

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, my friend sent me the link and asked me to take some photos of trashing her dress and I didn't know what she meant, now I do :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...