DIY Explanation

pour améliorer, meaning 'to improve', is a humble record of our renovation, home improvement and landscaping projects, with our travel adventures thrown in.

11 October, 2012

Glossy Black Goodness

In case you haven't noticed, I seem to have a bit of a thing for glossy black things.

My dining table...


My bathroom vanity cabinet...


All the frames that I spray painted and hung on our lounge room walls...


So it's agreed. I like glossy black things.

So now let's change the subject for a moment.

This is our bathroom.


Well, that's our bathroom on its best behaviour, all lovely and clean and tidy for the picture. That's not exactly the reality of our every day existence.

This is what the little corner between the end of the bathtub and the wall usually looks like (on a good day).


That plastic container piled on top of an upturned plastic bin is the solution I came up with for storing all the various shower products within easy reach of the bath, since clawfoot bathtubs don't really have any capacity for storing bodywash and shampoo. Complete with a gorgeous orange power lead in the background running from the powerpoint out the window to give us access to electricity downstairs. Could it get any more classy or attractive?


I've always planned on getting something for that little corner to help us store our bits and pieces a bit more attractively, but it's not exactly been the highest thing on the priority list.

That is, until I randomly entered a competition that Replica Furniture was offering to people who 'liked' their Facebook page. I didn't really think anything of my entry, since I believe I could safely say that I never win anything. Ever. But then a few weeks later, I got notification that I was a winner of a brand new replica Componibili storage unit! I couldn't believe it!

Source

So guess what colour I chose?


Yep. Gloss black. I dithered, as always, wondering if getting a white one would be more sensible since it could possibly be a bit more flexible - bedside table, future toy cabinet (no, I'm not pregnant), any number of uses! But I had to go with the black. Because I wanted him for that spot in the bathroom!


Unfortunately I'm having a bit of a fight with my camera since it doesn't seem very interested in automatically focusing anymore (must get it serviced), so I apologise that these shots are a bit hard to see clearly. For the moment I've kept one of the ugly plastic containers on top for holding most of the brightly coloured bottles, since the shelves inside the cabinet are a bit too low for easy access while standing in the bathtub. Nothing worse than losing your footing in a slippery bathtub trying to reach for something!


So there it is! The ugly (but much better photographed) before, and the new Componibili after! Once I find a more attractive water-proof container to rest on top with all the bits and bobs inside, it will look even better!


But why stop when I was ahead? I was flipping through some junk mail recently, and caught a glimpse of a brochure for 'The Reject Shop'. Got to love that name! They had these ceramic garden stool advertised for just $40 each! Let's paint a picture here. I've been eyeing off these ceramic stools at places like Matt Blatt for ages for prices in excess of $165 each for well over a year now, never able to justify making the leap and spending that much money. So at a quarter of that price, I was very willing to leap! In fact, I leaped into my car almost straight away and dashed off to the closest shop in determined pursuit of these stools.


And since I figured it was less than half the price of one elsewhere, I bought two. A white one and a black one. The white one doesn't have a permanent home yet (although I've got ideas!), but the black one now resides on the other end of the bathtub!


Pretty, huh? I might even switch it out with the white one if I'm feeling extra daring. I live on the edge, don't I?


So that's it! Our already very glossy, very black and white bathroom got a touch more gloss black added into the mix. And I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...