DIY Explanation

pour améliorer, meaning 'to improve', is a humble record of our renovation, home improvement and landscaping projects, with our travel adventures thrown in.

06 April, 2011

The Way We Live



I announced a week and a half ago that we decided to move back into our house, even though the power wasn't reconnected. Fortunately we can run the fridge and lights and one appliance at a time off an extension lead running across to the neighbour's house, so we're surviving.

The morning routine is like a game of musical chairs (or power cords) between the toaster, the kettle and the microwave, and let me tell you, I'm getting very creative with the meals I can make with an ancient electric frying pan (it used to be my grandmother's), the rice cooker and the microwave - but only one at a time, of course!


But what's a little inconvenience in return for having your own space again? I'll take it any day.

The one... just one tiny thing I'm struggling with? Cold showers.

Yes, I know. I said I could put up with it (and I'd definitely still take it over moving out again), but the novelty's wearing off.

It didn't take me long to stop using the shower head and start bathing the old fashioned way using the bath tap.

sourced from Urban Homestead

Actually it's nothing like that. Because the shower head is pretty old, it sprays in all kinds of directions, meaning that no matter where you stand, you get sprayed by one errant squirt of cold water. Cold showers are one thing. Tiny cold squirts that you can't escape are another!


So I have adapted. As the mornings get chillier now that we're in Autumn, I'm dying for warm water! So...I've discovered that I can boil the kettle and conduct a thorough wash with a single bucket of water! It's primitive, but it's sooooo much better than a cold squirty shower!!!

I've even managed to wash my hair successfully and shave my legs! Think very much like this:


For a girl who's never liked camping, I think I'm doing alright. That said, really, it's getting a bit old. Bring on our next power company visit (hopefully our last) this Friday!!!! We'll have to have a hot water party!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...