DIY Explanation

pour améliorer, meaning 'to improve', is a humble record of our renovation, home improvement and landscaping projects, with our travel adventures thrown in.

18 April, 2011

Plans They Are a'Changin'

Wow. So much is happening right now, there's been no time to blog about it!

We've got three sleeps to go before we hop on a plane for our Europe adventure, and I think I may just be reaching the point where my excitement is outweighing my anxiety. I've been freaking out about all of the things that need organising in preparation for our departure, and I think I may just be getting a grip on them. So bring on the holiday!

In the meantime, we've made huge leaps toward getting the house more habitable. The kitchen has been a giant leap. We've positioned most of our second-hand cabinets in the positions I planned in this post, but realised that there were a few major flaws in my plan. I had a feeling this might happen. Measurements are all well and good, but nothing solidifies (or ruins) things like actually putting something in a space and seeing how it feels/looks.

So... our kitchen has now gone from this...


To this...


It's certainly not perfect, but it's a lot more like a kitchen, isn't it?

You'll note that we've got the essential electric frying pan (referred to here) sitting on top of the stove in pride of place. Although we've got the power connected now (thank goodness), the stove top is gas, which isn't connected yet, so we're still overusing the fry pan.


You might notice in the above two photos that I've got a few little paint sample cards taped to the cupboard to the left of the oven. And yes, I'm thinking of going dark for the kitchen cupboards. Still thinking about that one.

So would you like a little tour of our kitchen?

Here's the area directly to the right when you walk through the doorway. The big fridge is exactly where I planned for it to be, but contrary to the plan, the dishwasher (not connected to anything yet) is now living next to it, where my original plan said the wine fridge is supposed to go.


This is because we realised how tight the little corner near the sink would be if we tried to slot the dishwasher in near it. It just isn't practical. So the compromise is to put it next to the fridge. It won't be as convenient for loading it from the sink, but it makes the most sense for the kitchen layout.

If we keep moving to the left of the fridge, here is the corner to the right of the stove. Almost exactly as planned, except that we plan to put the wine fridge to the right of those higher cabinets there. I do have some reservations about that, not the least of which are the fact that it's pretty high up, and the wine fridge is deeper than the cabinets. Hmm...

You can see the wine fridge currently sitting temporarily to the left of the corner cabinet. Eventually it will come out and the stove will move over so it's centred in the space properly. We'll also eventually build some little shelves to go to the left and right of the stove.


And now here we are on the left of the stove, with my little test paint cards.


Moving further to the left, and we've got my beautiful hutch. Won't it be fabulous painted?


And turning once again, we've got the little kitchen island (and a lovely view of the cleaning products under the sink).


My original plan had this cabinet being chopped up so that we could fit the dishwasher in the middle of that space, but it works so nicely in its current form, that we want to try to use it that way. We'll just need to sort out a corner cabinet to house a proper kitchen sink (not the laundry tub we're currently using).

And now, have you been wondering what the cause of this silver fox photo was?


It was the day that Tom pulled out the marble benchtop that we got with our second-hand kitchen cabinets and cut it to size to fit the new configuration of the cabinets.


Not only is having a benchtop wonderful (it's quite difficult chopping things up and serving food without one), I certainly appreciated the opportunity this gave me to trawl the Internet for pictures of George Clooney looking foxy. *sigh*

So that's our kitchen as it stands now! With Europe coming on there's not much going to happen to it for a little while, but I'm itching to get into it once we get back! All of that exposed timber just makes me want to reach for a paintbrush!

Patience, patience, there will be many distractions over the next few months to have me thinking of anything but paint colours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...