DIY Explanation

pour améliorer, meaning 'to improve', is a humble record of our renovation, home improvement and landscaping projects, with our travel adventures thrown in.

07 November, 2014

Baby Steps

So we have a fully operational bathroom (see here)! What more could a girl want?

Well...

Since you ask...

A kitchen with a working oven would be nice...


But having lived for a long time without a stove-top or oven in our last house (see here), and since I work from home, the priority was actually an office for me.

According to our plan for the house, we had decided which room was the lucky candidate!


But unfortunately it looked like this.


So while we began the complex task of making it a bit more inviting (more on that to come), I set up shop in the dining room.


I divided my time between working (of course), staring at the dull mustard-yellow wall in front of me (will we never escape yellow walls?), smelling the dank, musty smell of the ancient carpet under my feet and glaring over my shoulder at this.


That is the little room functioning as an entry. It wasn't the messiness that I was glaring at (the whole house was still in a complete state of upheaval since we'd just moved in), it's the weird closed-in doorway section of wall directly opposite the front door. Here it is marked on the plans.


And here it is from the lounge-room side.


Ever since we first inspected this house before we bought it, that section of wall has bothered me. It clearly was once a doorway, since the skirting board is different from that in the rest of the house, and it's not usual for a random section of wall to be framed with architrave like a doorway.


Unfortunately an explanation as to why someone would have wanted that doorway closed in is probably going to remain a mystery forever.

But after staring at the thing for weeks I couldn't stand it any longer. So I attacked it with a crowbar.


Carefully, mind you. And in hardly any time... I had this!


So now we can walk in a straight line from the front door into the lounge room instead of having to detour via the dining room (aka my temporary office) first! Small miracles.



I know it's not the most exciting transformation ever, but it felt good to have made some actual progress.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...